Eaaaarrthhhhhquaaakkkkeeeeee!!

Tuesday 18th May

What others may consider a dangerous part of life, us foreigners think is fantastic. My first Peruvian earthquake was more of an excitement than anything else. I was a bit taken back by the children running out of my english class as I didn't think my lesson was that boring! It was interesting that many of the other volunteers didn't even feel the quake. 

Although it was exciting for me, I did notice some of the children were very shaken up. It made me realise that although that one was a small tremor, bigger ones do occur here and have potentially devastating affects. I guess that growing up in Australia, where close to no earth quakes occur, I can't fully understand what the affects that a big earth quake can have. Australian's grow up learning about bushfires and more recently floods, but rarely does a earth quake have any affect on us. Part of living in another country and continent is learning the different ways of life, and that includes the different types of natural disasters. I guess the best attitude to have to the prospect of a disaster is to be prepared, aware and stay calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment