Being a translator & happy endings

Wednesday 26th June

Today at the baby orphanage it was assumed that I spoke fluent spanish. This meant that I would be able to translate for some visitors to the orphanage. I surprised myself and was somewhat able to translate (what I wasn't I just guessed and made up). Rarely do I see visitors to the orphanage and so was interested in the older white couple and the two South American young people. I found out that the young girl was adopted by a Norwegian couple from the orphanage, and the boy was also adopted from an orphanage in Ecuador. Her adoptive parents and adoptive brother were touring the orphanage where she spent the first few years of her life. It was so amazing to see such a happy family. As a volunteer, I have welcomed new children and said goodbye to some, but we never know about what happens before or what happens after. All we can do is try and make the children feel loved and be happy. I felt so honoured to be able to meet this family and learn about their story. It takes some truly amazing people to welcome children into their family and treat them as their own, with little to no knowledge of their past. I wish that everyone could see the beauty of these children. It saddens me that already in their short lives, these children have dealt for more than many ever will in their lives. During my time volunteering in Peru I have fallen in love with my babies at the orphanage. I wish that every one of them could have a life full of opportunities, happiness and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment