Cusco And Machu Picchu

Sunday 14th July - Friday 19th July

After a 20 hour bus ride to Cusco from Lima, we arrived to the pouring rain in nothing but thongs (flip flops). We found our hostel and settled in. After a quick catch up with wifi, we headed off to our meeting for our 4 day Trek. It was a bit difficult to find the hostel, not to mention exhausting, since it was up a massive hill. The briefing outlined the itinerary for the 4 day trek, starting with mountain biking.

We woke up nice and early to the freezing cold of Cusco and were taken by bus to the top of a mountain. As we drove we   began to see the snow falling outside. We soon discovered that the temperature outside was below freezing! We all rugged up, hopped on our bikes and braved the weather. Unfortunately because we were going down hill there was no need to peddle so that wasn't helping to keep us warm. 30 minutes and two frozen hands later I started to feel motion sick. I stopped for a moment and all of a sudden was hit with dizziness and nausea. I felt close to fainting and had to wait for the support van to pick me up.

We enjoyed a hot lunch and then proceeded to climb into the back of a small cattle truck to be transported to our hostel. When we hopped out we were told we had a 45 minute hike, uphill to our hostel. Although this didn't seem daunting, it soon proved to be very difficult. We were all huffing and puffing and soaked in sweat by the time we reached the top. All of a sudden the cold showers became very appealing. I have never enjoyed a cold shower so much and the feeling of being clean after being covered in sweat. 

Day 2 had a leisurely beginning, however soon proved to test my fear of heights and falling. Making myself walk down rocky steps with a sheer cliff face only a step to the left was a terrifying experience. Controlling my legs was incredibly tough but luckily I made it! We stopped to have lunch and a siesta in the hammocks and then continued on our journey. After crossing a swinging wire-y bridge and a cable cart (which looked to be more of a metal seat on a wire) we made it to the hot spring. We all happily enjoyed the please 32 degree waters. After a couple hours at the hot springs we headed to our hostel for the night.

The 3rd day started with zip-lining between mountains. I was surprisingly ok with this activity, although when we came to a wire log bridge, where you had to un-clip and re-clip yourself on, I began to freak out a little. Once I was half way through the bridge I lost it even more, since it was twisting and turning. Finally manage to make my way across the whole thing. We then caught a bus to Hydro Electrica, and made our hike to Aguas Calientes. After a long hike and a few chocolate stops, we made it to Aguas Calientes for our last night. 

Our final day was spent at Machu Picchu. After waking up at 4am and lining up for the bus for an hour and a half, we were on our way to the top. At 6am we arrived at the entrance. We toured the site, taking in all the spectacular buildings hidden at the top of the jungle. After our tour we explored a little, and I was split from my friends. While we were waiting we started to take photos of the Llamas. Then the llama started to climb the stairs, so what did we do, follow it!


I will admit, we got a little over excited, and using a banana took any photos of ourselves with the llama. 


 
Unfortunately for Olivia, who was amusing herself by making the llama bow for the banana, she was spat on by the llama... twice. I can't say that I didn't laugh, because honestly I think I almost wet myself it was so funny.


After that we did our hike of Machu Picchu Mountain. It was so hard. An hour and a half going up gravely, uneven stairs which were definitely not up to the standard of australian building standards. We finally made it to the top after numerous breaks, to behold a breath taking view of the surrounding mountains of Machu Picchu.


It was an amazing hike, which was made amazing by the people I was able to share it with. Whether or not you have an appreciation of the ruins, one must appreciate the amazing surroundings of snow capped mountains, rapid rivers, deep humid jungle and a lot of stairs...! Machu Picchu was a once in a life time experience, something I know I will remember forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment